Adapted from "Feeding my Temples:Skinny Chicken Parmesan"
*Photo credit to "Feeding my Temple*
(because i forgot to take a picture with my own camera)
- 2 (8 oz) chicken breasts, sliced in half (horizontally, or butterflied but cut all the way through. You will end up with 4 pieces of chicken)
- 3/4 cup of crushed tortilla chips with a couple dashes of garlic salt OR you can use GF bread crumbs w/garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings (add more if you like the taste)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara or your favorite spaghetti sauce
- cooking spray
Preheat oven to 450°. Line large baking sheet with foil (easy clean up) and spray lightly with cooking spray.
Combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and Italian seasonings in a bowl. Melt the butter in the microwave in another bowl (this is usually melted after about 20 seconds, so watch it closely.) Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining 3 pieces of chicken.
Lightly spray a little more cooking spray on top (this makes it nice and crispy) and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and turn over. Spoon sauce over each piece and top with mozzarella cheese and bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This dish was amazing. Boyfriend and family approved. And SO easy. I made it gluten free by substituting bread crumbs with tortilla chips that I salted with garlic salt. Crushed tortillas are a great sub for most dishes that require GF bread crumbs. And they are cheaper.